A strong sewer smell coming from your basement is most often caused from a dried out floor drain, a bad ejector pit seal, improperly vented appliances or fixtures, or even a damaged sewer line. Floor Drains – Rarely-used floor drains in your basement are typically the source of the sewer stench.Mar 22, 2019,
Septic odors smell like sulfur (think rotten eggs). Sniff around, especially outside, to see if any rotten egg smell might be coming from your tank. If you know where your septic drain field is, check really well around there.Jan 6, 2019
A regular sewer-gas smell is just a bad stink with a definite odor of feces and sometimes a rotten-egg (hydrogen sulfide) smell and/or a moldy mustiness too.
If your drain smells like rotten eggs, you must disinfect the pipes to get rid of the odor. You can eliminate the bacteria by pouring a ½ cup of bleach down your drains. However, if you would like an alternative, pour down ½ a cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar.Apr 3, 2017
Broken, Clogged or Poorly Installed Vent Pipes When it gets clogged, the sewer gases can back up into the sinks and the toilet, resulting in your bathroom's sewage smells. You may experience a bubbling sound coming from the toilet or the drain as sewer gas forces its way into the bathroom.Mar 8, 2021
BLEACH DOESN'T CLEAR DRAIN CLOGS. It cannot dissolve things like food waste, breadcrumbs, grease, and hair. Instead, pouring bleach into a clogged drain will make things worse. The bleach could react with other chemicals, creating dangerous fumes, and if the reaction is violent, it can even burst your drain pipes.Sep 24, 2020
What causes the sulfur smell in your drain? ... The most common is a clogged, or partially clogged, drain. When sinks are clogged they drain slowly and bacteria can build up in the p-trap and create the hydrogen sulfide gas.Sep 3, 2019
Some are serious, but many of them are easy to fix. Sewer odor comes from the breakdown of human waste and includes harmful gases like hydrogen sulfide and ammonia. Small doses of these gases won't harm you, but chronic exposure can be toxic.